Make newspaper basket
- Old newspaper (finally a purpose for free junk mail)
- Bobby pins, clothespins, paper clips or whatever you find to keep the paper together
- Strings or thread
Scissors (even better if you have rotary cutter and cutting mat)
- Use old newspaper.
- Cut into 20 strips. I cut them into 2-newspaper-column-wide strips (about 1 3/4″ or 7.5 cm). It depends on the size of the weave pattern. You can keep the length of the newspaper as it is and trim it later on.
- 20 newspaper strips.
- Fold each strip in half lengthwise and fold into quarter and then into eights. Make sure to crease tightly, so you have some sturdy and crisp strips.
- 20 folded newspaper strips waiting to be weaved.
- Start by weaving 10 strips in each direction.
- So that you will get a 10×10 square base.
- Thread around the edges ( or twine string, I only had packing string handy which was too stiff) to help mark the base and keep the base in shape a little better. Weave the thread just like the newspaper, one over and one under.
- Showing square weaved string base.
Now off to the difficult part. You take one of the four sides of the pattern of 10 strips and divide them in half. Beginning with the center, cross them and weave out to the edge. Don’t worry if the weave pattern is not very tight yet. You can tighten it later on by gently pulling on the strips.
Repeat with the other three sides. Join the four sides by weaving them together.
- Secure the weaved strips with pins.
- Fold the strips inwards and interweave them once.
- It will look a little messy but you will cut the access strips off later.
- Staple the inter-weaved strips at the top.
- Cut the access strips off.
- The finished look of the newspaper basket with staples.
Finished Paper Basket
DIY bottle cap crafts
DIY Snow globes
Must know craft tips