Burlap and buttons shirt tutorial
This was a simple off-white cotton shirt, which I revamped using burlap strings and buttons to make boutique style buttons shirt.
An easy project, that really does not need any tutorial to get you started.
DIY shirt refashion
I started by choosing the design I wanted for my shirt and traced it over. Once I was happy with the look, I gave it for machine embroidery. Another great option would be to hand paint it.
To complete the project
Burlap and buttons boutique shirt material
- Burlap strings
- Needles and threads (black and white threads in this project)
- Buttons (of your choice)
Trace your pattern on the shirt and have the embroidered pattern done. I had it done from someone but if you have the embroidery machine you can do it yourself.
How to make boutique buttons shirt?
- To make the box around the embroidery, you will need 8 braided burlap strings.
- Cut two burlap strings of same length according to your pattern. Tie a knot at one end and twist them together to make a braid.
- Pin the braids in place and hand thread them into the fabric. I made 5 loops (3 white loops between 2 black loops) after each 1/4 inch.
- Now place and arrange the buttons in different positions
- When you are convinced with the look, sew them in place.
- When you are finished sewing the burlap strings and buttons, the backside will look like this (note that the interfacing is already their, because I gave it for embroidery. If you plan to paint instead of embroidery, you will need to stick the interfacing on the back before you thread the burlap strings, for a neat look)
- And your front side will look like this.
I was not sure, if this project will be a disaster or it will turn out good!
So, I did not take any pictures for tutorial. Now I wish I would have taken some pictures to share with you.
But I hope it was easy to understand!
Till we meet again!
Here’s what I made last week: