- Ring size (4) and (5)
- Stocking net
- Floral tape
- Nylon thread
- White glue
- Tissue (napkin) paper
- Acrylic paints
- Make 4 wings. 2 wings of the size (4) and 2 wings of the size (5) for each butterfly. Now thread the pairs of wings together. In this way you will have 1 pair size (4) and 1 pair size (5) wings for your butterfly.
- Follow the instructions for making petals in the post Basic Nylon Flower
Now I have 3 different types of butterfly bodies for you to try out. Lets check them out:
- Take a piece of napkin/ tissue paper and shape it in any way you want the body of the butterfly. Also use some water to make the surface soft and easy to mold as you like. Now cover it up with stocking net and thread it at the back. Dab a lot of glue on one side and press against the wings on the side showing wires. For best results use strong glue. Hold it with pressure for a while to secure it in place. Leave it to dry over-night.
- Secondly, you can try cutting some scraps of nylon and gluing them to the body of the butterfly where the wires are visible and this way also looks really pretty and original. The white glue becomes invisible on drawing. I took the picture when it was wet which makes it look messier in the picture.
- The easiest and most natural look comes from wrapping a piece of tissue/ napkin paper over the wires and glue the ends over. Let it dry and paint it. I used acrylic paints to paint the body of the butterfly.
- When done simply use wire and shape the antennas and fit over the body. I wanted to make the butterflies with it’s original colors, you can also use different colored nylon and paints. I am sure it will look more beautiful.
- Your little-tiny-cute butterfly is ready. Shape the wings the way you like and your butterflies are ready to fly.
You might also like these pretty butterflies that I made earlier and were a part of my Christmas tree decoration.
- Waiving the wings of the butterflies before covering it up with nylon gives your butterfly the look the white butterfly has in the picture below.
- To make this one I used green wire to make the wings. Now loop a wire so that the 2 ends will become the antennas and twist the other end so that the beads don’t run down the wire. Then thread in some pretty beads on the wire and glue it over the wings to form the butterfly’s body. You can also use glittered markers to make fancy motives on the wings.
- This one has body made with cotton and glitter sprayed all over it. When your wings are ready simply pitch in the wires into the body and glue them to secure in place.
- A big colorful bead perfectly fancy the body of butterfly. For the wings apply some glue on the sides of the wings and spray on with glitter, shake and remove the excess of glitter and let it dry.
I hope you enjoyed all different types of butterflies you can make with stocking net. Let me know your work when you try your hands at making them and if you already have made some and I am sure yours would be prettier, send them on.. Your craft is worth showing.